Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Niyenda na mendo (I'm walking)

Commuters in Lusaka, Zambia get to work in a variety of ways. Some drive cars, some take taxis, but I think the majority walk, or take a bus.


When I was working in Zambia, I used each of these means of transportation, but my commute almost always involved some walking, whether it was walking to the bus stop, or when I was rushing, walking to the taxi rank. Walkers in Lusaka are almost never lonely, especially during "rush hour." I remember living Northmead and having the sides of the streets completely conjested with commuters. Often, you'll see someone you know and have a chance for a smile, a handshake, and an exchange of greetings that could make you late for work... "Muli bwanji (How are you?) ... Mwadiela? (How's life?) ... Kunyumba kulibwanji? (How's everything at home?)... ATembo ati bwanji?" (How's Tembo?) ... and so on...


Here are some pictures from this morning, from the commute of our Lusaka corresspondent, Print/Photo/Video Journalist, Jorrit Meulenbeek. (Check out HIS blog here if you'd like to try reading some Dutch.)








They are in the middle of rainy season, as you can see.





I've recently been hired as an Administrative Assistant at Northern Illinois University, where my husband* is going to school. (Yes, thank you! So happy to be employed!)

We live near campus, so on most days, niyenda na mendo kunchito (I walk to work). I don't see ANYONE else walking when I walk to work! Today I saw one bicyle rider, one person walking to a bus stop, and a handful of cars driving. I miss streets full of people! I also miss the warm weather. This morning it was 34 degrees Fahrenheit. (That's almost 0 degrees celcius!)











I posted on Facebook yesterday asking for pictures of people's morning commutes. Minutes later, I got Good Magazing posted THIS link:


http://www.good.is/post/day-15-document-your-commute-30daysofgood/


I guess great minds think alike!

Kuyenda: "to walk" or "to go"


Niyenda: "I walk", "I go"


Kuyenda na mendo: "To go on foot" (to emphasize the "on foot" definition of kuyenda). (Literal translation = "I walk with legs.")



Happy commuting!


(Whether its to work, school, visit friends, to occupy some sort of space, or to look for employment, or wherever you may be going!)




1 comment:

  1. I love the literal translations of things like that. "I walk with legs" is so silly in English; how else would you walk? But in Nyanja, it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete